Saturday, June 25, 2011

Matching Ties



I made matching ties for Father's Day this year, but there are so many reasons to make these ties.  Plus, they were pretty easy (no joke)!
 
If your man prefers skinnier ties, I would suggest using the pattern found here
 
If your boy is a little older, I would use this pattern (since they are old enough to have REAL ties)
 
I, however, found the men's tie above a little too skinny for the hub's taste.  He prefers wide ties, and the pattern I used ended up being about 3 1/2 inches wide. http://pukingpastilles.com/?p=855
 
The little boy's velcro tie I made was SO easy and the velcro strap makes it easier to put on and safer for him.
My boy is about 15 months so I used the newborn pattern, but added a few inches to it.  The nice part about this pattern is that you can adjust the tie as they get older.
 
Another thing I did differently was I did not add lining through the whole thing.  To save on fabric, I only added lining where it could be seen and slip stitched it in there.  You can find a good explanation of how to do this herehttp://www.purlbee.com/fathers-day-ties/.

On the men's tie, I added heavy interfacing in addition to the lightweight interfacing to make it a thicker tie.  Near the end, I felt adventurous and added a keeper on the men's tie.
I love how they turned out and I'm keeping my eye out for some more fun fabric for the next time I do this!

2 comments:

  1. So cute! And I love your fabric choice! Perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matching neckties sure make for great photos of fathers with their sons!
    -Jackie

    ReplyDelete